It’s taken a long time, but I can honestly say, “I love my story.” Why? Because my story is His story. Nothing I’ve gone through surprises my Heavenly Father! So, now, I’ve changed my mind-set. My life is a grand adventure; an epic journey.
I could give you paragraphs full of boring facts, or I could jazz it up a little and let you get to know me! Of course, I chose the second option! So, here ya go!
43 Things About Me:
- I look young, and act young, and honestly, I am young! After all, 40’s are the new 20’s, right? (Now, if I could just get a guy my age to ask me out!)
- My theme song could be “Life is a Highway” (the Rascal Flatts version, of course!) I go full-speed. All. The. Time! Until I crash of course. Then I spend an entire day in my PJ’s, binging on Netflix.
- I love my church. Like, beyond love! I’m there just about every time the doors are open. I’ve been there since I was 14 years old. I’ve raised my kids there. No matter where I end up in this world, that will always be my church home.
- I was born on Christmas Day. Yes, it’s as bad as it sounds! My mom still makes sure we celebrate on Christmas…so I get my 15 minutes of fame. Honestly, it’s not too bad. It’s life and you just adjust!
- I love traveling! Which is a good thing, since I love missions and plan on spending the rest of my life taking trips into other countries. My dream is to have a home in Broken Arrow, a home in the Mountains, and a home somewhere overseas. It doesn't really matter if this all happens...but what's life without some goals!
- I dream big! Like huge dreams that only God can make come true! But, Jesus promised me a full, abundant life. I plan on living my life to the full.
- I listen to all kinds of music. Country, 80’s, worship, jazz, oldies, show tunes, love songs, contemporary Christian…I just go with whatever mood I’m in. But, most of the time, it's worship music!
- I have three boys. I wasn’t supposed to have boys. I was supposed to have girls. No way would I be able to handle boys! The smells. The jokes. The body noises! But, God had other plans and I’m so glad He did! I wouldn’t trade my boys for anything. (Although I'll take some daughter's however I can! I can't wait to meet the ladies my boys will marry!)
- I’m too fun for the saints and too saintly for the sinners! OK, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit. But, I have been told by a few that I’m not serious enough. And, on the other side, I’ve been told to just let things go and “live it up.” I’m going to have fun and enjoy life, all while serving God and showing the love of Christ to a hurting world.
- I don’t like coffee! Please don’t hold that against me. I’m just more of a tea drinker. And at least I like the smell of coffee, so that counts for something, right?
- I’m a Disney fan. Like, truly, a fan! I watch every movie. I love Disney World and go as often as I can...preferably in the off season. Man, that place can get crazy! I go to all the parks and stay in Disney World. I’d wallpaper my bedroom in Mickey and Minnie if it wasn’t so childish!
- I’m a single mom. Definitely never expected to be a single mom. I was going to marry and be married for life. My fairy tale turned into an toxic marriage, which meant I lived in two worlds: my church world and my home world. And two separate worlds can’t exist together, so eventually, they collided. Took a while for life to balance. In that time, God and I had some serious healing to do! But, when God promises to heal the broken, He means it.
- My kids have been to all sorts of schools: public, private, homeschool. I love all three types. I don’t believe a parent should educate a child based on fear, but based on what is best for their family and their children. Since my divorce, my kids have been in public schools. I love their teachers. And, they’ve thrived.
- I’m a BA Tiger! I graduated Broken Arrow High School in 1992. I’ve also had two boys graduate from BA (2014 and 2016.) We are a Tiger family. Alex will graduate from BA in 2020.
- I like hashtags. I try to come up with crazy ones. Of course, I usually come up with the best hashtags after I’ve already posted! Then, I don’t think I can go back and add them, because it will show I’ve edited the post and I don’t want people reading that my best ideas happen after I hit send! My crazy head!
- I love quotes! All sorts of quotes. And I write them down everywhere: in journals, on my phone, on little pieces of paper around my house, anywhere! So, I’m going to attempt to consolidate them on the website. Wish me luck!
- I was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My parents are from Oklahoma. My grandparents lived in a town called Foyil and my Granny lived in Wagoner. I love my home state, even though I don’t like the weather. It’s not the tornadoes that bother me. It’s the hot summers and the cold winters. If it’s going to be hot, I need a beach. If it’s going to be cold, I need the mountains! For Oklahoma, spring and fall are beautiful!
- I love nature. I like hiking. I like trees and water! Probably because my grandparents owned 15 acres and I would wander around through the trees and play in the creek.
- My favorite word is “Mom.” It’s my favorite title and the one I treasure the most. My boys mean the world to me. Even when they don’t do what I think they should. Even when they were little and would throw up on me when they were sick. Even with being tired after chasing three little boys around the house. Nothing, nothing, nothing means more to me than my kiddos!
- I love to read. I’ll read just about anything, unless it’s gross romance novels and horribly scary books. I have one son who reads a lot as well. All through high school, he carried books and read them just as fast as I did. (Wonder where he got that?!?) I have bookshelves full of books. Some I haven’t read yet. Why? Because I buy way more than I could start. And, I start many books at one time. They are all over my house! I pick them up and read when I can.
- I have lots of favorite scriptures. But, my go-to? It would have to be Ephesians 3:14-21. I really like it from the Message: My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.
Glory to God in the church!
Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus!
Glory down all the generations!
Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!
- I don’t like going to the grocery store! It’s so big and there are so many choices! I don’t like it at all. I do like to cook, and to eat, so going is a necessity! I think I should try the new Walmart pick-up…that is if I could remember to place the order the day before I need it. (Updated...I used Walmart pick up once and absolutely loved it! However, it's that whole plan ahead thing that has kept me from doing it again!)
- I’m a big fan of C.S. Lewis, and especially the Narnia series. I loved reading the series to my children and I did so many times when they were younger. You should never be too old for fairy tales! “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” (C.S. Lewis). I also enjoy Mere Christianity. That book will make you think!
- I live by my calendar and the reminders on my phone. Seriously, I forget stuff. Constantly! My kids know to ask if I’ve set a reminder in my phone and put it on the calendar.
- I’m a breast cancer survivor. I believe in healing and health. And I had cancer. That was quite a journey! Telling my kids I had cancer and would have to go through chemo, surgery, and radiation was probably the hardest thing I ever did. And that year of treatment? Goodness. It was horrid! Beyond horrible actually. But, I’m cancer-free. God and I kicked cancer to the curb and it’s not allowed back! I have compassion on anyone dealing with health issues. That stuff affects your life and the life of your family. No, life has not gone back to "normal," whatever that means! It's called the "new normal." And, there's not much normal about it. Good thing I'm not stuck on a "normal idea of living."
- I don’t like putting gas in my car. I wait until the little light comes on before I do it. I know. I know. You’re not supposed to do that! I don’t like washing my car or cleaning it out. Or changing the oil. Or the regular upkeep! I love driving, just not taking care of the vehicle! Thank goodness I have a son and a dad and guy friends who help me with these things!
- I really like Valentine’s Day. I know, I know. National Single Awareness Day! Yes, I’m single and I still like it. It doesn’t mean I don’t want a Valentine. It just means I’m willing to wait until the right guy comes along. I may already know this guy and he’s trying to get up the nerve to ask me on a date. Or maybe he’s a few years in the future. Either way, they’ll be a day when I can use all that sappy stuff, so I'll just stock up on it now. And as a side note, I don't buy the whole "don't have friends of the opposite sex" nonsense! Some of my best friends are guys! There's a lot less drama and I can show my kids how to have a friendship with someone of the opposite sex! However, Alex has told me I have too many guys in the friend zone. "And once you're in the friend zone mom, you'll never get out!"
- I read all different translations of the Bible. I love seeing the different words and phrases used. It keeps the Bible alive! My current read is the Voice version.
- It’s getting hard to come up with 43 things to put on this list! Why in the world did I choose the number 43? Oh yeah…because I’m 43 years old and starting a new phase in my life! OK, almost done…
- I like to laugh. I like finding funny pictures and posting them on Facebook. Laughing is the best. The Bible says quite a lot about joy and laughter! God must know what He’s doing!
- I like color! I try to put pops of color all around me. Bright flowers. An office painted yellow (a light yellow…I don’t want to be blinded.) I have red bookshelves in my living room. You get the idea. Color helps make my world bright.
- I have friends…a lot of them. And they mean so very much to me! Now, I have my tribe. You know, the one’s who know everything about me and still choose to stay around? But, I have others too. To be a friend, you must be a friend. The quote from It’s A Wonderful Life comes to mind: “No man is a failure who has friends.”
- I speak (or type) before always thinking it through. So, if I seem tongue-tied, or I send a text before thinking, it’s because my brain is going way faster than it should! So far, it hasn’t gotten me into too much trouble, but it has caused some funny moments!
- I’m a hopeless romantic, although I don’t let that side of me out often! But, I do desire to be married again. I have a desire to experience a Christian marriage. Notice I didn’t say perfect! But, a good marriage with two people who love and serve God wholeheartedly. It will happen someday. Until then, I'm living life! Not waiting around for Prince Charming. When he comes along, he'll just have to jump in and join the adventure!
- I enjoy social media. All of it. Instagram. Twitter. Facebook. Pinterest. I haven’t really figured out Snap Chat yet, but I’m working on that! I like interacting with people. Yes, even people who believe differently than I do! I’ve connected with friends from high school, college, church. I’m friends with friends! In fact, some of my friends I’ve never even met, but I care for them. Social media is fun and that’s how I use it.
- I’m a dreamer. I love to think of what can be. I look at houses and cars and places to travel. I refuse to stay where I’m at. I’m always pushing ahead! That makes life a bit chaotic at times. But, there’s grace for the pace!
- I’ve started publishing books that have been sitting inside my head for years! It’s a bit scary! But, it’s one of those dreams I’ve had for years and I’m watching it happen! Wow. Just Wow!
- I have my Bachelor of Science in Family Studies and Gerontology from Southern Nazarene University. I thought I would go into Social Work, and become a therapist, but God had other plans! I use my degree, just not in the way I had originally thought!
- I’m an extrovert and an introvert. I’m just as happy being alone as I am with people. If I seem overwhelmed and I’ve been out and about with people a lot, then I spend a day or two basically alone. If I’m going stir crazy being alone, I hook up with some friends. Basically, I’m happy with whatever.
- I don’t like cleaning my house. Ugh! So, I’ve discovered 80’s music makes cleaning easier. Or, I just have my boys do it.
- I love watching Pride and Prejudice, the BBC, five-hour version, of course! And Jane Eyre. And of course, Wuthering Heights! And, I love to read these classics. They draw you into their lives.
- I’m not perfect. I don’t have a perfect life. There are many tears mixed with all the laughter. Some people assume that because I don’t talk about all the bad times, then I don’t have them. I have my tribe. That tribe knows all about the ups and downs. They listen. They stand by me. They pray for me. And they kick my butt when I need it! Lately, God has been moving me to sharing my story more. It’s definitely out of my comfort zone to let people know so much! Plus, it opens up a whole world of emotions! But, it’s also good, because many have told me that it’s helped them. So, God must have a plan!
- I’ve finished this list! You never know what I’m going to say next. And just wait! I’m sure this list will be added to as time goes by. I know I’ll think of something more to say!
#ilovemystory #lifeonpurpose #momofboys...just a few hashtags you'll see a lot!